Virtual Art Gallery Submission Themes & Guidelines
Students, from kindergarten through college, are invited to submit their artistic depiction of a drone-related theme for display on the FAA website. Submissions may also be featured on the FAA’s digital media channels.
Themes for Grades K-5
- My Drone and Me
- Drones in the Sky
- Design Your Own Drone
- How Do Drones Help People?
- What Will Drones Look Like in the Future?
Themes for Grades 6-9
- Adventure Drone
- Drones to the Rescue
- How Can Drones Improve our Environment?
- How Will Your Drone Change the Future?
Themes for Grades 9-College
- Drones for Good
- What Technology Will Enable Drone Operations of the Future?
- Drones in the Headlines
- Drones in the National Airspace System – Full Integration
Students are welcome to use any mediums or materials to depict their theme. We recommend each submission fit on an 8 by 12 inch sheet of paper. Artwork that contains trademarked images or brands will not be displayed.
- Submissions from children under 13 will only be accepted from the child’s parent or legal guardian.
- Submissions must include the following information:
- First Name of Student (do not include student’s last name)
- Grade Category (K-5, 6-9, or 9-College)
- Image (.jpg or .png) of artistic submission (this can be a picture taken with a smart phone) under 5 MB
- All submissions should be submitted to [email protected]
- Please include the theme depicted in the subject line and the student’s First Name in the body of the email. All submissions will be attributed to the first name of the student only.
All submitters are advised of the following:
- The FAA’s National Drone Safety Awareness Week (NDSAW) Virtual Art Gallery is subject to all applicable Federal laws and regulations. Participation constitutes full and unconditional agreement to these rules, terms and conditions and to the final decisions of the FAA, which are final and binding in all matters related to this exhibit;
- Each submitter represents and warrants that the submitter is the sole author and owner of the submission, that the submission is wholly original and authored by the submitter, that it does not infringe on any copyright or any other rights of any third party of which the submitter is aware, and, if submitted in electronic form, is free of malware. By submitting an entry, submitters agree to assume any and all risks and waive any claims against the Federal Government and its officers, employees and related entities (except in the case of willful misconduct) for any and all injury, death, damage, or loss of property, revenue or profits, whether direct, indirect, or consequential, arising from their participation in the NDSAW, whether the claim or cause of action arises under contract or tort;
- By submitting an entry, submitters agree to indemnify the Federal Government against third party claims for damages arising from or related to the NDSAW activities;
- Each submitter grants to the FAA, the DOT, as well as other Federal agencies and organizations with which it partners, the right to use names, likeness, application and submission materials not marked with protective markings, photographs, voices, opinions, and/or hometown and state for FAA promotional purposes in any media, in perpetuity, worldwide, without payment or consideration;
- The submitter understands that they will receive no compensation for any aspect of their submission beyond the participation in the NDSAW and any benefits that may be granted as part of the event;
- Furthermore, by making a submission to the FAA, as part of the NDSAW, the submitter(s) are submitting the services and final product to the FAA without expectation of payment, and are expressly waiving any future claims against the FAA and the U.S. Government for funds to compensate for any services creating the submission materials or the use of the submission materials by the FAA;
- In the event that the submitter (or any participant) is a minor, then the student’s parent or legal guardian will have to sponsor their submission and agree to these conditions on behalf of the minor. The parent or legal guardian must make any submission on behalf of their minor (under 13 years of age) student; the FAA does not accept submissions from students under 13;
- All Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) operations that are conducted to create a submission must be done in compliance with current law and regulation. Information about these laws and regulations can be found at http://www.faa.org/UAS;
- The submitter is required to obtain the consent of any individuals captured in their submissions and inform them of the requirements of the release prior to delivering submission to the FAA;
- Personal information submitted by participants as part of the NDSAW will be transmitted to the FAA and may be kept in a system of records. Submitters agree not to hold the FAA or the Federal Government liable for the protection, use, or retention of any personal information submitted through the NDSAW; and
- Submission Marking and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. § 552: In additional to submissions being publicly available on the FAA’s digital media, all materials submitted to FAA as part of a submission become FAA records and may be subject to release under the FOIA.
I give permission to the FAA to use my name, image, likeness, and personal details, specifically including personal stories related to my participation in the NATIONAL DRONE SAFETY AWARENESS WEEK as filmed, photographed, recorded, printed, or otherwise documented (the “Artwork”), that may be displayed via print, electronically, on social media, and/or the Internet or in any other medium throughout the world and in perpetuity. I understand the Artwork may be edited, copied, exhibited, published, and/or distributed, and I waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product where my name, image, likeness, or other personal details appears. Additionally, I acknowledge that I shall receive no compensation for my participation and/or the use of the Artwork.
By submitting materials, I acknowledge and hereby release the Federal Aviation Administration from any and all liability that may arise in connection with the use of my name, image, likeness, and/or personal details, including, but not limited to any claims of defamation, invasion of privacy, or publicity. I further represent by submitting this release that I am of sufficient age and status to authorize this release. The FAA does not accept submissions from individuals under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, your parent or legal guardian must submit your entry on your behalf.